Terms of Usage (ToU)
TERMS OF USAGE ("TOU")
ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS OF USAGE:
ACCESSING THIS WEBSITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE TERMS OF USAGE ("TOU"), WHICH MAY BE UPDATED FROM TIME TO TIME WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU. You can review the most current version of the TOU at any time by visiting this website.
The IIT Bombay Heritage Foundation ("IITBHF") and the IIT Bombay Alumni Association ("IITBAA"), (collectively, "IIT Bombay") require anyone accessing the IIT Bombay alumni website which is simultaneously located on "http://www.iitbombay.org" and "http://www.iitmumbai.org" (the "Website") to exercise caution and discretion while browsing the Website itself, as well as any of the sites linked directly or indirectly from this site.
DESCRIPTION OF SERVICE:
The IIT Bombay Alumni Directory© is property of IIT Bombay, and is intended for the private use of students, faculty, and alumni of IIT Bombay who are registered in this Alumni Directory ("Registered Users") to contact their friends and classmates, and to encourage networking with other Registered Users. The Alumni Directory should not be used to solicit alumni for financial assistance, to sell products or services, or to send "spam" mail. In order to prevent unwanted or excessive mailings, IIT Bombay reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to place reasonable limits on the number of e-mails sent by a Registered User in a short period of time.
USE OF THE CONTENTS OF THIS DATABASE FOR ANY UNAUTHORIZED PURPOSE IS A VIOLATION OF IIT BOMBAY'S COPYRIGHT. ANY USE OF THIS INFORMATION FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES OR FOR BROADCAST MAILINGS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
IIT Bombay only sends mailings to alumni for official business, including important announcements and newsletters etc. We strive to limit these mailings to as few as possible and instruct all local alumni clubs across the world who use the Alumni Directory to similarly limit mailings to the extent possible. Alumni can elect to opt-out of these mailings by editing their profile in the Alumni Directory by logging in at http://www.iitbombay.org. In addition, newsletter and other emails that we send out to alumni include an opt-out link which makes it easy for you to be removed from the alumni mailing lists, such as those for your graduating class or for your local Alumni Association Chapter.
In consideration of your use of the SERVICE, you represent that you are of legal age to form a binding contract and are not a person barred from receiving services under the laws of India, the United States or other applicable jurisdiction. You also agree to: (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as and when you are so requested or prompted (such information being the "Registration Data") and (b) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.
If you violate the Terms of Usage (TOU), or provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or IIT Bombay has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, IIT Bombay has the right to suspend or terminate your IIT Bombay registration and to refuse any and all current or future use of the SERVICE (or any portion thereof).
CONTENT, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person originating such CONTENT. This means that you, and not IIT Bombay, are entirely responsible for all CONTENT that you upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available via the SERVICE. IIT Bombay does not review, endorse, approve or control CONTENT posted by visitors to the Website, or any of the pages it may have direct or indirect links to, and, as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such CONTENT. You understand that by visiting the Website and using the SERVICE, you may be exposed to CONTENT that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. Under no circumstances will IIT Bombay be liable in any way for any CONTENT, including, but not limited to, for any errors or omissions in any CONTENT, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any CONTENT posted, e-mailed, transmitted or otherwise made available via the SERVICE.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the password associated with your IIT Bombay website registration, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account. You agree to (a) immediately notify IIT Bombay of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session if you have reason to believe that others may have access to the computer being used or if you are using a computer which is not in a secure, private location.
You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade, resell or exploit for any commercial purposes, the CONTENT, or any parts thereof, or the SERVICE (including your IIT Bombay UserName), use of the SERVICE, or access to the SERVICE.
You acknowledge that IIT Bombay may or may not pre-screen CONTENT, but that IIT Bombay and its designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, move, delete, or divert to backup storage, any CONTENT, including, but not limited to, CONTENT that IIT Bombay and its designees in their sole discretion determine to be objectionable material, or unsolicited and/or bulk mail. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with the right (but not the obligation) of IIT Bombay and its designees, in their sole discretion, to pre-screen, refuse, move, delete, or divert to backup storage, any CONTENT that IIT Bombay and its designees in their sole discretion determine to be objectionable material, or unsolicited and/or bulk mail.
You agree to use the Website in a responsible manner; you agree to not use the SERVICE to:
- upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any CONTENT that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, volunteers or officers associated with IITBHF, IITBAA or IIT Bombay, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any CONTENT transmitted through the SERVICE;
- upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any CONTENT that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any CONTENT that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;
- upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation;
- upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available broadcast mailings or any other written or electronic mailings for commercial purposes using CONTENT from the Website
- upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- "stalk" or otherwise harass any other person or user;
- collect or store personal data about any other person or user;
- take any action, such as uploading of data, software, code or applets that could embarrass, inconvenience or cause damage to the Website itself and the CONTENT, to other visitors to the Website, or to IIT Bombay;
- interfere with or disrupt the SERVICE or servers or networks connected to the SERVICE; disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the SERVICE;
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, and any regulations having the force of law.
You acknowledge, consent and agree that IIT Bombay may access, preserve and disclose your account information and CONTENT if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce the TOU; (c) respond to claims that any CONTENT violates the rights of third parties; (d) respond to your requests for assistance; or (e) protect the rights, property or personal safety of members of the public.
The IIT Bombay Website, its CONTENT and the SERVICE may provide, or third parties may provide, links to other World Wide Web sites or resources. Because IIT Bombay has no control over such sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that IIT Bombay is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any CONTENT, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. You further acknowledge and agree that IIT Bombay shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such CONTENT, goods or services available on or through any such site or resource.
IIT Bombay makes every effort to maintain the highest of standards in designing the Website. IIT Bombay does not endorse or approve the contents of sites, pages and screens linked to from the Website, and makes no attempt to regularly review the content of any such sites, pages and screens. The Website may point to sites, pages and screens which are maintained by individuals and organizations unrelated to IIT Bombay, and which may contain information that some people may find offensive or inappropriate. IIT Bombay is not responsible for the accuracy, trademark/copyright compliance, legality, regulatory compliance or decency of material contained in any such sites, pages and screens that may be directly or indirectly linked to from the Website.
IIT Bombay reserves the right to include advertisements as a part of providing the SERVICE. You also understand and agree that the SERVICE is provided "AS-IS" and that IIT Bombay assumes no responsibility for the timeliness, deletion, mis-delivery or failure to store any user communications or personalization settings.
You acknowledge that IIT Bombay may or may not pre-screen CONTENT, but that IIT Bombay and its designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, delete or move any CONTENT that is available via the SERVICE. Without limiting the foregoing, any CONTENT, including data, text, graphics, software, code, or applets posted by visitors on the Website can be moved, modified or deleted from the Website at IIT Bombay's sole discretion. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any CONTENT, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such CONTENT. In this regard, you acknowledge that you may not rely on any CONTENT created by IIT Bombay or submitted to IIT Bombay, including without limitation any information made available to you on the Website.
Any use of CONTENT, including but not limited to E-Mail Addresses, for commercial purposes or for broadcast mailings is strictly prohibited. IIT Bombay reserves the right to take all necessary steps, including legal action, to prevent unauthorized tampering or misuse of CONTENT.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
IIT Bombay does not provide any warranties, express or implied, or make any representations regarding the use, or the results of use, of CONTENT, in terms of its correctness, legality, decency, accuracy, reliability, appropriateness or otherwise. Review and use of CONTENT is subject to all applicable laws and regulations, and is solely at the risk of the individual or organization using this data.
IIT Bombay reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the SERVICE (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that IIT Bombay shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the SERVICE.
IIT BOMBAY MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, TIMELINESS, LACK OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS AND ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES, GRAPHICS AND ANY OTHER MATERIAL AND CONTENT THAT YOU ACCESS VIA THE "SERVICE" FOR ANY PURPOSE. ALL SUCH INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES, GRAPHICS AND ANY OTHER MATERIAL AND CONTENT ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT:
- YOUR USE OF THE "SERVICE" IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE "SERVICE" IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. IIT BOMBAY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
- IIT BOMBAY MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT (i) THE "SERVICE" WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) THE "SERVICE" WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (iii) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE "SERVICE" WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, (iv) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE "SERVICE" WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS, (v) ANY ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED, (vi) THE "CONTENT" OR ANY INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES, GRAPHICS AND ANY OTHER MATERIAL DELIVERED TO YOU VIA THE "SERVICE" WILL HAVE NO VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, AND (vii) THE USE OF USERNAMES, PASSWORDS, COOKIES AND OTHER DESIGN ELEMENTS OF THE WEBSITE WILL BE SECURE AND IMMUNE FROM SECURITY THREATS.
- ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE "SERVICE" IS ACCESSED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
- ANY "CONTENT" OR OTHER MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE "SERVICE" IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
- NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM IIT BOMBAY OR THROUGH OR FROM THE "SERVICE" SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY.
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT IIT BOMBAY SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF IIT BOMBAY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM: (i) THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE "SERVICE"; (ii) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED OR MESSAGES RECEIVED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH OR FROM THE "SERVICE"; (iii) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; (iv) DELETION OF "CONTENT" BY IIT BOMBAY WHEN IT IS DEEMED TO BE OBJECTIONABLE, OR UNWANTED AND/OR BULK "CONTENT" BY IIT BOMBAY OR ITS DESIGNEES AT THEIR SOLE DISCRETION ; (v) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE "SERVICE"; OR (vi) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE "SERVICE".
IIT Bombay takes privacy issues very seriously.
This policy covers how IIT Bombay treats personal information that IIT Bombay collects and receives when you visit this Website, and use the Services or access the Content. Personal information is information about you that is personally identifiable like your name, address, email address, or phone number, and that is not otherwise publicly available. This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that IIT Bombay does not own or control, or to people that are not affiliated with IIT Bombay.
Information Collection and Use
IIT Bombay collects personal information when you register with IIT Bombay, when you visit this Website, and use the Services or access the Content. When you register on this Website, we ask for information such as your name, e-mail address, mailing address, occupation, industry, and personal interests etc. Once you register with IIT Bombay and/or Log-in, you are not anonymous to us. IIT Bombay collects a variety of information about you, including information about your gifts and donations to IIT Bombay, and your use of the Services and the Content. IIT Bombay automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, IIT Bombay cookie information, and the page you request.
All the above data and information, together with any and all reports, statistics, summaries, research or analyses based on such data and information conducted by IIT Bombay or by its trusted partners, will collectively be referred to hereafter as "Information".
IIT Bombay uses Information for the following general purposes: to customize the content you see, fulfill your requests for Content and Services, improve our services, contact you, conduct research, and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
IIT Bombay does not rent, sell, or share Information with other people or nonaffiliated entities except
- to provide services that you have requested;
- when we have your permission;
- or under the circumstances detailed below.
IIT Bombay reserves the right to provide the Information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with IIT Bombay. IIT Bombay reserves the right to create reports, statistics, summaries, research or analyses based on the Information, either on its own or with the assistance of its trusted partners. Using such reports, statistics, summaries, research or analyses, and the Information collected from you, IIT Bombay reserves the right to send you certain communications relating to IIT Bombay and the Content and Services, such as announcements, administrative messages and newsletters, without offering you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving them.
IIT Bombay reserves the right to publish all such reports, statistics, summaries, research or analyses based on the Information in public forums, including magazines, newspapers, brochures, books and any other form of public disclosure. IIT Bombay will make every reasonable effort to maintain and protect the privacy of individual members while creating reports, statistics, summaries, research or analyses based on the Information, and publishing them in a public forum.